Landlords in England & Wales who let a residential home need to know

If you are a landlord and let a *self-contained residential home, you should be aware that from 1st October 2008 a new law came into force which affects new tenancies. It requires a landlord to make an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) available for inspection by prospective tenants free of charge when written information about the property is provided or a viewing undertaken. If these events do not occur the EPC must still be shown to the prospective tenant before the tenant enters into a contract to rent the property. A tenant cannot legally move into a property until the EPC has not been produced.

An Energy Performance Certificates shows how energy efficient a home is on a scale of A-G. Similar to the rating on a new washing machine the most efficient homes in band A should use the least fuel (size being relevant). An EPC is valid for 10 years.

You pay a Domestic Energy Assessor (DEA) to provide the certificate

Penalties for not complying with the legislation could be a daily fixed penalty charge of £200 a day per dwelling.

*An EPC isn’t required when a tenant rents a room only and shares facilities.

If you need help finding a DEA please telephone this firm on +44 (0)208 539 0075 or look in your local paper or on the internet.